Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Submitted by Carol Alexander



Ann Branthoover was another of Metro's children. She never had children of her own, but was a much loved Aunt to her many nieces and nephews. Pictured here with her is Darlene and Ronnie Zuback, kids of John, and Nancy, daughter of Pauline.

When I (Carol) was a young girl, I always looked forward to going to Aunt Ann's for a couple weeks during the summer. She ran the Post Office in the coal mining hamlet of Van Meter, PA, right out of her own home. As kids, we were never permitted to go into that area of the house because it was "government property" even though it was just a big room that was right off her kitchen. All the people would come there to pick up their mail and share community gossip. I enjoyed watching the comings and goings of the people, and made some friends when I was there.

My favorite thing to do while at Aunt Ann's was to wind the Cuckoo Clock she had in her living room. I can still hear Aunt Ann's voice reminding me, "Carol Rose, the clock needs winding" and I would turn the key that raised the weights of the chains back up to the top. It made me feel very important to have such a responsible job at such a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment