Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Submitted by Rosemary Eisenheifer

Grandma (Anna) passed away several years before my birth in 1959, and I really only have one memory of Grandpap (we called him "Zizi"). It was in the mid to late 1960s and I was probably only about six or seven years old (at most), but I remember my parents taking us to Van Meter around Halloween to show Aunt Ann and Uncle Don (who Zizi lived with before his death) our Halloween costumes.



Picture a very dark, chilly, fall evening. Three little kids, dressed in some type of costume complete with masks (while our parents waited to the side and out of view) knocked on Aunt Ann's front door. Apparently, Zizi was the only one home that night as we spied him peering at us through a side window. Next thing we heard was a frail little voice from the house saying, "Go away -- NOBODY HOME!!!"



We just sort of guessed at the time that Halloween was NOT his favorite holiday -- or maybe he just ran out of candy. :) But every Halloween, for some reason, I still think of this story and chuckle when we take our own child Jack out trick-or-treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment