Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Submitted by Paula Ann Tapper Branthoover Fox

I had the great honor to have lived in the house in Van Meter, PA with Metro Zuback (my Great Grandfather), their daughter and son-in-law, Ann and Don Branthoover. I was 8 years old when I moved there and Zizi passed away when I was 13. I have very fond memories of him. Most of them are at the kitchen table where he and I loved dunking our cookies in a mug of sweet milky coffee. He had a special chair in the living room where he sat to watch TV. I never had any lengthy conversations with him because his English was limited.
I can only remember Baba being in her bed. She passed away when I was only 5 or 6. She had a special way that she liked to eat potatoes- sliced raw and placed directly on the stove's burner to grill. After they got nice blackened stripes on them, Aunt Ann would put them in a bowl with a little cooking oil and salt. I would take them up to Baba's bedside to share them with her. This family recipe is known as "Baba's Potatoes."
Baba, Zizi, and I were extremely blessed to be taken such good care of by Aunt Ann. She was the most loving and generous person I've ever known- an amazing family matriarch. Her love and good deeds were only matched by one other, and that is her husband,Uncle Don. I am not only indebted to them, but also very grateful to Baba and Zizi. Their courageous new beginnings are the reason I proudly write my names- present and past.

No comments:

Post a Comment